Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cat Lady

I'm currently playing the part of foster mother to a few cuter than cute kittens, which, when you think about it, essentially makes me a cat lady - at least temporarily. I know this is a title that many steer clear of; but I truly don’t mind it. As long as I’m able to dress (and accessorize) the part, that is.

Do you remember when you were growing up and your grandmother would knit you sweater after sweater for just about every imaginable holiday? Sweaters that your parents forced you to wear to school even though the other kids on the bus would laugh and point their fingers at the crazy colors and loose ends? The Paul & Joe Sister Cat Sweater is reminiscent of those gifts from grandma – except for the fact that it is actually adorable, and something that you certainly wouldn’t need to be forced to wear. The cream color is the perfect backdrop to the bow-adorned gray kitty whose big sad eyes just scream for a hug – much like my own tiny charges.

I realize that most wallets nowadays come complete with a change compartment, but they always seem too small to hold more than a few pennies; which is why I am enlisting the help of this Pretty Pet Coin Purse. The kitty face is simply a decal, but her bright red bow is fabric, and comes complete with a realistic red jewel. It’s certainly the perfect accompaniment to the aforementioned sweater, or any outfit that needs a hint of metallic glamour!



Costume jewelry is so much fun – especially when it’s as childlike as this Fancy Cat Necklace. The best part? The muted colors give it a vintage vibe, while the Kid Pirate original illustration provides a sense of irresistible whimsical innocence to the piece.

When I adopted my first cat, Sassy, I was three months shy of eight, and she was a five-week-old ball of fluff who was showered with love, kisses, and attention from the moment she was placed in my arms. I dressed her up in doll clothes – a pink and white pinafore jumper, if I remember correctly – and pushed her in doll carriages. Sassy is still with me today, and this lovely little painting from MiKa Art Blog reminds me of all of the wonderful times we’ve had together. This would be the most darling piece of art to hang in a brightly decorated living room.

Have you ever experienced one of those moments around the dinner table where there is dead silence, and the only thing audible is the sound of utensils hitting porcelain plates? I don’t think that moments like this would even be possible if you had these Jonathan Adler Salt & Pepper Cats sitting front and center on your dining room table. They add such a kitschy, unconventional feeling to dining room tables and kitchens alike that is undeniably purrfect.


Since we're on the topic of cats, I thought I'd toss in Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron for good measure. I haven't read it yet, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that no library or bookstore is complete without a furry friend traipsing up and down the aisles. Plus, I think the kittens would love to hear all about Dewey's book-filled adventures!



Fashionably yours!


Thanks to Bob London, Kaboodle, Fred Flare, Etsy, MiKa Art Blog, and Iowa Beautiful for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...