Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The pen is mightier than the sword, but a well-aimed typewriter packs good punch too!

Every now and then I get tired of modern conveniences and begin daydreaming about the items of yesteryear. Today my focus is on typewriters.

When I was seven-years-old, already bitten by the writing bug and not yet the proud owner of a speedy computer, I found an old typewriter in the garage and promptly lugged it into the warm comforts of our home. It was then and there that I began to bang out my very own newsletters, newspapers, articles, short stories, and how-tos which circulated around my family, friends, and close-knit neighborhood. Even now I get giddy at the sight of an antique typewriter. To think what type of masterpieces have been written upon them, and whose fingers have flown across the keys (Dorothy Parker? F. Scott Fitzgerald? P.G. Wodehouse? Truman Capote?); it's almost too much to fathom. The history that each one holds is amazing. One day I plan on having a room devoted entirely to vintage typewriters. For now, I'll pay tribute to them here.







Fashionably yours!


Thanks to Dirty-Paper, Anne Ruthmann Photography, Domino, Roadside Scholar, and Altruism in the Morning for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...