Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good Books and Cozy Nooks

I am one of those people who can’t enjoy a good book without being situated in a cozy nook; and after Monday's post I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, I’m not the only one. Which is where this idea came from...

A cowboy hat-adorned bust, the contrasting blue walls and acid green chaise, the cumbersome chandelier, it’s just kitschy enough to pair with the tale of a girl who has an assortment of plastic ponies hidden under the kitchen sink of her New York City apartment a la Sloane Crosley in I Was Told There’d Be Cake.


There’s something so Holly Golightly about those pillow eyes. I can’t imagine curling up with anything but Truman Capote’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s in this bedroom.


Sir Arthur Conan Doyle always brings to mind cozy sitting rooms, warm fireplaces, hot coffee, and yummy pastries. This room manages to invoke the same images. Toss in some rain, a little thunder and lightning, and it will be the perfect place to read about Sherlock Holmes’ and Watson’s adventures in The Hound of the Baskervilles.


Even though it covered more of the eighties and nineties than anything else, I can’t help but feel that Jancee Dunn’s But Enough About Me deserves to be read in an offbeat room that is sparsely furnished, but accessorized with seventies-esque seating arrangements – much like the one featured here. It’s just as trippy as her adolescence was!


Whenever I think of Dorothy Parker I see two colors: red and blue. This is the perfect place to indulge in Parker’s dry wit via The Portable Dorothy Parker as it embraces both of these colors just enough to make me channel my inner Dot.


What are some of your most-adored books, and where are your favorite places to read them?


Fashionably yours!

Thanks to Domino for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...