Monday, October 12, 2009

Penny for Your Thoughts

Find a penny, pick it up, and all day long you’ll have good luck.”


Don’t even try to tell me that you didn’t repeat this mantra to yourself over and over again as a child while walking through parking lots or down sidewalks with your parents, your tiny hand wrapped within the warmth of the overpowering mitt of your beloved mother or father. Be honest, your eyes scoured the ground, even going so far as to search between little cracks in the pavement, hoping against all hope that your eyes would land on a shiny penny which you would pick up with your pudgy fingers and cherish for the rest of the day, a sure sign that good luck would remain with you as long as you had that petite piece of change in your grasp.

Since we’re being truthful here, I’ll make a little confession of my own…to this day I still repeat such a mantra. Each time I see a penny glimmering up at me from a stony path I can’t help but be brought back to my childhood days of fantasizing about good luck, making wishes in fountains laced with statues spouting water, and the pure whimsy brought about by such a simple, youthful pleasure. Obviously I’m not the only one.

Lorna Leedy of Fancy Pony Land is another who embraces the childlike innocence brought about by the power of the penny. Though instead of keeping her eyes peeled for perfectly intact stray cents littering the sidewalk, she can more often be found traipsing along the train tracks in her part-time residence of Marfa, TX, where she looks for pennies that have met their fate with runaway railroaders, then weaves them into unique, one-of-a-kind show-stopping accessories inspired by chain mail for her Penny Collection.

At the moment I am lusting after the Zigzag Necklace, Zipper Necklace, and Chainmail Necklace; but I certainly wouldn’t mind taking the shimmering Belt or Bracelet home either. The question is…how much luck do you think one would be in possession of if decked out in pennies?


Fashionably yours!


Thanks to Fancy Pony Land for the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...